Re: Compilation problem

rse@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall) writes:

> > ich habe versucht, auf unseren Sun Ultras wml mit cc -fast zu
> > kompilieren. Dies hat auch funktioniert, indem ich
> > make CC=cc CFLAGS=-fast
> > gemacht habe, ausser fuer den ePerl Teil.
> > Kannst Du das mal ausprobieren und gegebenenfalls reparieren? Bzw mir
> > sagen, wenn ich es irgendwie anders machen muss (mit configure?).
> > CC=cc CFLAGS=-fast ./configure
> > hat nicht funktioniert.
> (BTW: Fritz, please be careful, the other list members don't
>       have german as their native language ;_)

Well, the message was suppossed to go to you directly (as I thought it
was of limited interest to others, which, judging by your answer,
might have been wrong too ....)

> Because I have no non-GCC compilers for Solaris available on any
> boxes I have access to, you have to post the error messages here,
> please. Then I can investigate. Even better would be if I can try
> it myself? (Can Tobias install the Sun "cc" on
> engelschall.ethz.ch? Or have you any test account on a machine
> where this compiler exists?)

I'll get you an account on our systems.

> Hmmmm... because most of the parts are written in plain Perl, I think Pass 2
> (Meta-HTML) now is much faster. Try a WML -v1 run which gives nice time
> statistic and compare there the times for the passes. Please post the output
> of a WML -v1 run here so we can see which pass still needs most of the
> processing time.

Will do.

> One more idea: Try to compile your Perl system itself with "cc
> -fast"! This should speed up the other WML passes which are
> entirely written in Perl.

Thought about that too.

Dr. Fritz Zaucker, Head IT Support Group
Departement of Electrical Engineering,      Federal Institute of Technology
ETZ J97, Gloriastrasse 35, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Tel.: +41-1-632-5241	Fax: +41-1-632-1194  http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~zaucker/
E-mail: zaucker@ee.ethz.ch (see home page for PGP key)