pass one forces use of pass two

If I turn pass 1 but turn pass 2 off, I get this at the top of my web

    unshift @INC, qw(
    $^W = 0;

I guess I understand why it happens this way -- wml's ipp pass is getting
used as the point in the code where this prep for e-perl takes place.

But, I'm sure this can either be conditionally done (testing for pass 2
being on) or moved such that it pass 1 without pass 2 no longer produces

Can this be a 1.6.1 change?

[L]inux has an installed base conservatively estimated at around 3 million
users.... [V]endors say that most of the top companies in the US have bought
the OS - but that few will readily admit to running their multimillion-dollar
corporations on code put together by a band of software idealists. -- _Wired_