Re: your mail

Denis Barbier <barbier@imacs.polytechnique.fr> writes:

> On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Fritz Zaucker wrote:
> >
> > <url>At our web site (http://www.ee.ethz.ch/) ...</url>
> >
> > gets translated into
> >
> > At our web site (<a
> > href="http://www.ee.ethz.ch/)">http://www.ee.ethz.ch/)</a> ...
> >
> > NOTE: The URL includes the closing parenthesis )
> You're right.
> After reading the RFC1738, i think that parenthesis are valid characters
> within URLs.

Oh my god ....

> But now i believe that <url> is an help tag, and so is not intended
> to be fully RFC compliant. I will remove the last character of the URL
> if one of ['"?!.;:)>] (brackets are not included in this list).
> Any comment?

How about an optional argument to like <url RFC> that make's the tag
RFC-compliant and by default make it "reasonable" as you suggested?

To be honest, I don't like non-compliant approaches very much, but it
just seems silly this way.

Another option would be to at least have a way to escape the "funny
characters", although, I guess, to allow MS-type URLs one would have
to use at least a double backslash for an escape sequenz. Not
particularly nice ...

Dr. Fritz Zaucker, Head IT Support Group
Department of Electrical Engineering,  Federal Institute of Technology
ETZ J97, Gloriastrasse 35, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Tel.: +41-1-632-5241 Fax: +41-1-632-1194 http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~zaucker/
E-mail: zaucker@ee.ethz.ch (see home page for PGP key)