Re: rendering of tables

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 08:22:12AM +0100, Werner Heuser wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm reworking my HTML tables and have just started to work
> with the <xtable> tag. Now I'm looking for a method do
> create different tables from one (<xtable>) database.
> As far as I understand, there is no difference between
> "setting" up the table data and "rendering" them (like let's
> say in the <navbar ..> tags). Example:
> setting up the table data:
> <cell:define 1,1>content</cell:define>
> <cell:define 2,1>content</cell:define>
> rendering the table:
> <cell:render *,1>print column 1</cell:render>
> Can you point me into a  direction to get a solution?
> I have thought about converting my HTML tables into a CSV
> file or another database format and then creating the
> tables from these database. But this is an errorprone
> method and also I would like to stay with WML.

Hi Werner,

i am surprised this has never been requested before, it looks quite
natural. The <xtable> tag is just a wrapper for freetable (formerly
wwwtable), so the best solution is to request this feature to the
freetable maintainer (i'll do so).  Meantime you may try this trick:
  * define your table content into a tag without cell attributes
      <define-tag mytablecontent>
          blah blah
  * render it by adding some extra markup
    (*,2) align=center
  * parse ePerl output.
Last step is not trivial, and i think i have to provide a solution to
make it much easier (something like <navbar:filter>).
Any suggestion is welcome.

Denis Barbier
WML Maintainer